Sunday, November 4, 2012

Laying Down the Law: No Cats Allowed!

It's been a long time since I've posted.  I've had a lot buzzing around in my head about my work here, but every time I try to write about it, I get discouraged.  I've learned a lot about the myriad of challenges facing both students and teachers here, as well as the limits on my ability to help with these problems.  I'd like to write about all this in a meaningful/informative way, but I haven't quite found a way to put it all down in words.  I think this time I'll stick with a more personal update.

I'm moving into the second year of my service.  It's nice to have been here long enough to know what to expect from the turning of the year.  I recognize the seasons, I know more about how the Muslim holidays are celebrated, and I know what to expect day to day at my school.  Many volunteers feel that their second year is more productive than their first.  The stereotype is that you get your feet under you in the first year, and after that you really begin to take strides.  Sometimes this worries me; my second year has not seemed to be off to a shining start.  A lot of my secondary projects seem to be imploding, and I haven't found any resounding ways to combat the difficulties I face at my school.  All this together can get quite discouraging. 

But I've found some consolation in how things are going in my personal life.  It's good to remind myself that the home/community/cultural side of my experience has been going really well in my second year.  I've got really good relationships with my neighbors.  My Kiswahili improves, slowly but surely.  I've formed some genuine friendships.  My house feels like home.  I've got everything I need to feel comfortable, and I can cook tasty and healthy meals on hotplates and charcoal stoves.  I host a lot of people who pass through Pemba (mostly from the volunteer community), and I feel like a good host- I know enough about the island to give good advice, and can provide a comfortable place for them to stay.  All these things are good to remind myself of when work gets me down.

And since home is where things are going well, I believe pictures of home are in order!


My living room feels like home, thanks to all the people who have gifted maps, pictures, calendars, khangas....

The other side of the living room, looking towards my bedroom.  On the right is the blackboard I use when my community English club visits.  My National Geographic map on the left is one of my most prized possessions, and really useful for my English club as well.

My friend Kombo stopped by to say hello one afternoon.... coincidentally wearing a shirt with my and Jack's names on it.

Kitten invasion!  A couple of stray kittens, after being tormented by some neighborhood kids, decided my house was safe haven, and would stop at nothing to get inside.  After climbing up to the top of my screen door, one was able to slip into the house through a small hole.  I stayed strong and resisted an adoption urge.

It was time to expel the kittens before they did more damage to my mosquito netting.  Pole sana (very sorry) cats, this guy's leaving in 9 months and he won't be your daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment