Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Kilimanjaro!

First vacation in Tanzania: success!  It was a nice gift to myself after finishing my first 3 months at site.  It's also been 6 months since I got to Tanzania.  I've been in the Kilimanjaro region visiting my friend Riah, who's site is on the lower slopes of the mountain.  We had a pretty awesome time; lots of delicious food, plenty of sleep, and lots of lush scenery on the slopes.  The food highlight of the week might have been veggie-bacon burgers (yes, veggie burgers with bacon.  Delicious!). 

One morning we visited Riah's counterpart Catherine (the teacher at her school who she works most closely with).  She and her husband Alex are incredibly friendly and welcoming, and they have the cutest daughter ever, Joan.  Catherine made us a traditional Chagga dish (the Chagga are a neighboring tribe of the Maasai), and served it to me in a traditional bowl for Chagga men.  During our visit I got drowsy, and disappeared for an hour to take a nap on one of their beds.  This might seem a little odd, but is very acceptable behavior here.  It's one of the things I love about Tanzania: being sleepy isn't considered rude, and you're genuinely encouraged to take a nap when you want one. 

Pictures!


Remnants of the two ducks we had for Thanksgiving

My VSO buddy Juanito and I at breakfast in Dar Es Salaam before my trip to Kilimanjaro

Amazing English breakfast in Dar.  All you can eat cheese bar included.  I died and went to heaven.

Alex and Joan.  Daddy and Daughter.   =)

Me (with my Chagga man-bowl), Riah and Joan

Joan finishes the leftovers.  Precious.

Riah, Joan, and her mommy Catherine
Kilimanjaro!

No comments:

Post a Comment